Ayushman Bharat health scheme for CAPF
Updated: Mar 12, 2022
Union Home Minister Amit Shah on 23 January 2021 rolled out the ‘Ayushman CAPF’
scheme, extending the benefit of the central health insurance programme to the personnel
of all armed police forces in the country. Shah ceremoniously distributed the ‘Ayushman
CAPF’ health cards among some personnel from the seven Central Armed Police Forces
1. Under this scheme, around 28 lakh personnel of CAPF, Assam Rifles and National
Security Guard (NSG) and their families will be covered by ‘Ayushman Bharat:
Pradhan Mantri Jan Arogya Yojana’ (AB PM-JAY).
2. An MoU was signed between the National Health Authority (NHA) and the Union
Home Ministry at the CRPF Group Centre in Guwahati.
3. Ayushman Bharat, a flagship scheme of Government of India, was launched as
recommended by the National Health Policy 2017, to achieve the vision of Universal
Health Coverage (UHC).
4. This initiative has been designed to meet Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs) and
its underlining commitment, which is to "leave no one behind."
5. Ayushman Bharat adopts a continuum of care approach, comprising of two inter-related
components, which are Health and Wellness Centres (HWCs) and Pradhan Mantri
Jan Arogya Yojana (PM-JAY).